Protected by Copyscape DMCA Copyright Search

Sunday, March 1, 2015

A Prayer for the Divine Indwelling

Lord Jesus, I am longing
   From sin to be set free:
To find my deep desiring
   Forever fixed on thee.
All hope I now abandon
   Myself to conquer sin;
Invade my willing nature
   And come and dwell within.

The passing years oppress me,
   My growth in grace so slow:
My wayward fickle cravings
   Have leagued me to the foe.
Myself to self disloyal,
   I loathe yet love my sin:
Now hear my heartfelt pleading
   And come and dwell within.

If Thou should'st stand close by me
   'Tis more than I deserve;
But, being still outside me,
   From virtue, yet, I swerve.
Come nearer, Lord, than near me,
   My succour to begin:
Usurp the heart that craves Thee!
   O come and dwell within.

By W.E. Sangster, found in The Secret of  Radiant Life, 1957

No comments: